Scope of Work
The Otway Research Facility is a world-leading project underway in south-western Victoria (40 km southeast of Warrnambool) designed to demonstrate that carbon capture and storage (CSS) is a technically and environmentally safe way to reduce Australia's greenhouse gas emissions.
Upstream PS have been involved in the project since 2006, working on all three stages of the project:
Stage 1: Concept (2004 – 2009)
Stage 2: Risk Reduction (2009 – 2019)
Stage 3: Cost Reduction (2016 – 2019)
During 2019 - 2020, significant operational activities at the Otway Site has seen the drilling of five new wells and the construction of the surface support facilities.
Upstream PS have provided the following services:
- Concept, front end engineering design and installation of the wells and topside facilities
- Management of the drilling operation and implementation of further surface-based equipment
- Ongoing operations and maintenance of the plant utilising the Upstream PS Integrated Management System (IMS) including Safety Management Systems
- Updates to the site management system documents for new works are approved by Upstream PS, the client and the state regulator
- Establishment, implementation and surveillance of key safety and production operations and maintenance processes
- Implementation of an auditing process and conversion of existing documents and procedures to Upstream PS’ ISO Certified Integrated Management System (IMS)
- Competency Based Training (CBTA) management for permanent and itinerant site resources introduced for discrete project-based operations phases
- IT support to the site for remote access to the site control and information systems
Upstream PS continue to provide the services of engineering, site construction, contract operations and maintenance (including drilling and well abandonment services) for the world's leading CO2 geo- sequestration R&D project, whist preparing the CO2CRC Otway Project site for an injection of 15,000 tonnes of CO2 to commence later in the year.
Safety is all important and another significant milestone to note is that since Upstream PS commenced on the project in 2006, there has been no LTI to date.